First let me say that days in the workshop when it’s in the teens and there is no heater make for a cold day. That being said, it’s not nearly as noticeable on days like today when more or less everything goes right.
Most of everything I know about woodworking come from either watching Norm Abram or just figuring it out myself. Surprisingly you can learn a lot simply by just watching other people do it. Of course experience is the best teacher, and there is often a lot of trial and error that goes along with wood working. One of the best tips I can give anyone is to make sure you have extra wood to figure things out on. Buy some lesser grade woods like pine to do a rough build on so that by the time you start work on the finished piece, you aren’t wasting expensive wood. Don’t be fooled. Just because you are doing it yourself doesn’t mean it’s going to be cheap. Often times its even cheaper to buy it already made as opposed to doing it yourself. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve gotten into a project only figure out I needed a new tool just to do what I want done. Sometimes paying someone who already has that tool will save you time and headaches. You don’t learn anything that way…but some things just make more sense to outsource.
In all my scouring of the Interwebz, I found one thing to be true about the K6. The base is different on them all. OK…maybe not on them all…but there are a lot of differences. Some are taller, some are shorter, some are red, some are black….so with this in mind, I’m building the base to suit my needs…..well, the customers needs. A short one.
Remember that this K6 needs to be a bit shorter than usual, so I need to make up inches where I can, so the base will be one of those places. This base will only be 1.5″ tall and 36″ x 36″ wide. This keeps the width where it needs to be to make it usual for just about anyone, and it also saves a few inches of height.
Building the base was really easy once I figured it all out. The exterior trim is made up of 2″x2″ s4s (sanded on four sides) poplar. The first thing I needed to do was to run it through my router and take one of the corners over with a round over bit which I bought just for this project. I probably could have routered all of the corners off at the very end but that would have meant removing my router from my table. I nearly even bought a second router just for that, but I decided this route would work just fine as well, which it did.
The second step was to cut a rabbit (notch) in the wood to accommodate the actual flooring which was made up of 1/2″ plywood. Using my table saw I essentially cut out a 3/4″ x 3/4″ corner of the wood for this step. This is one of those times you want to do a test piece first. I needed to do two test pieces to make sure all of the cuts were made properly and that the different pieces would line up properly. Sometimes it works out the very first time…sometimes it doesn’t. This is why I like to run a test piece.
Finally I put a 45″ degree miter cut on both ends of the wood. This was done four times to make up the four sides of the base.
Once the trim was all done, I LIBERALLY applied glue to every edge that would touch another piece of wood.
That means at the mitered corners as well as in the rabbit where the floor would sit. I then nailed all of the wood together with my nail gun. Probably the most important thing I learned from working with my favorite limey, Ed Sanders on Extreme Makeover, is that glue is far stronger than either nails or screws. Glue should be what bonds your wood together….nails just hold it in place until it dries.
The final step in the build part of this process was to put a support system underneath. There will be more added to the support once the walls are built, and an actual floor will go over the plywood, but for now the base is done.